Favourite seques

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 03:58:54 EST 2003

> "Oh, is that how you pronounce Ashurbanipal?"
> "Well, it's how *I* prounounce it....who knows about the rest of the
world?"

I've come up against this one too - is the 'sh' bit pronounced as an 's' or
as 'sh'? Heard both, still not sure (and don't get me started on
Tiglath-Pileser III!) We all have blind spots, I guess. My inability to
distinguish between Acapulco and a cappella springs to mind. Only when my
girlfriend's brother's barber shop quartet toured Mexico did my mistake come
to light...

Charlie