Favourite seques

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Apr 2 14:25:07 EST 2003

Sallyo said...

> > > I like the kind of segue (which I've only ever heard pronounced SEEG)

> Thus segue appears to share elements with fatigue and fugue.
>
> Now tell me those two words are pronounced as Fatty-way and Fug-way.  I
dare
> you.

Well, I have always pronounced segue "seg-YOO", again having only ever read
it but not heard it.  However, application to The Best Ever Birthday Present
(aka The Brick, aka the New Shorter OED), tells me...

Segue is indeed pronounced seg-WAY, and is indeed from Italian.

Fatigue is as (I hope) we all know pronounced fat-EEG, and is from Old
French.

Fugue is pronounced FYOOG, and appears to be from Latin via Italian and/or
French.  Goodness knows how the "yoo" sound got into it and not into either
of the others.

So now we all know.  (Sorry, this was really just an excuse to play with my
dictionary. :-)  )

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--