Favourite segues

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 09:01:51 EST 2003

Jon:
> I'd like to nominate a candidate for worst; ER
> Eddison's "The worm ouroborus" (an otherwise excellent
> book) where the fantasy world (mercury iirc) is
> entered through a dream by a central character who is
> completely forgotten after about 50 pages. An
> achievement surely unique in literature.

I'd be interested to know if it _is_ unique: I have a feeling I've come
across something like it elsewhere. (I thought it might be in the Pilgrim's
Progress, but I just checked and that dreamer is returned to, albeit
perfunctorily, at the end.) I suppose the equally-irritating opposite of
Eddison's forgetfulness would be John Masefield's revelation at the end of
_The Box of Delights_ that the entire book has been a dream, even though
there has, I think, been no hint of that before.

Charlie