Favourite seques

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 08:46:57 EST 2003

> I like the kind of segue (which I've only ever heard pronounced SEEG) where

What!?  You can't possibly pronounce it Seeg!  It's Italian (I think) for
"Follow", and is a musical term - it means follow straight on into the next
piece.

(In classical music the instruction is more commonly given as "attacca" -
"attack" - meaning something like "now start the next piece".  I still use
"attacca", although I'm beginning to think that "segue" makes more sense.)

Soon after I joined this list, someone actually spelt this word "segway" in the
subject line of a message.  If I could be bothered, I'd go and look in the
archive...

OTOH the worst pronunciation of a musical term I've met is "tacet".  This is
latin for "is silent", and is usually pronounced as written, with (in English
anyway) a soft c.  But someone once told me that she was brought up to say
"tassay", as if it were French.  Oops!

Philip, burbling again.

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.