O/T Older Cars

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 1 09:39:47 EST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk wrote:

> My first Mercedes was called Rosmar, after Julian May's character
> Mercedes Lamballe.

Random flash of trivia: I saw an interview with Stephen Fry once where
he was talking about a novel he'd just had published. He had, he said,
been more than halfway through writing it when he suddenly realised
that the basic outline of the novel (wrongfully-imprisoned man goes
after those who etc.) was basically that of The Count of Monte Cristo.
He didn't want to give up on the book, but he figured he'd better drop
a few hints to let people know that he had noticed the similarity - so
in the finished novel the protagonist's name is an anagram of "Edmond
Dantes", and the fiancee's name is Portia.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."