Ogres, male and female

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Sun Sep 29 18:02:30 EDT 2002

I suppose the following contains spoilers for Black Maria and Fire and
Hemlock

Julie said:

This seems to be a recurring pattern in her books- to have a character
who seems "ogrish" at first, whom the hero must eventually learn to
trust. Sometimes counterbalanced by a character whom the hero does trust
at the beginning, who turns out to be not so nice.  E.g. Charmed Life,
tLoCC, aToTC (Dr. Wilander as the ogre). I can't  think of any instances
of a female 'ogre.'

Me:
True, good point. It's interesting that Aunt Maria doesn't turn out this
way, as she is a prime candidate for such treatment.  And Laurel, too,
for that matter.  But dwj doesn't seem to do this with female characters,
does she?  Hmm!

Jackie