Was: I Ate'nt Dead -- or That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger Now: TOD

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Fri Sep 27 18:11:57 EDT 2002

> What about TOD?  I think that's part of the problem (at least, *my*
> problem with it),
> as it seems that she suddenly backtracks to make the Ogre far
> too nice to fit his earlier behaviour.  I don't know, that bit just
> never quite
> worked for me, though I love other bits of it.

I was struck by this as well, but I read it as her forcing us to change
perspective, as the kids were forced to.  That is, I then went back and
reread and thought that maybe some of the really awful behavior was not
from an omniscient and neutral perspective, but was specifically designed
to show the reader how he was perceived by the kids when they hated him.

She's also playing with expectations of form, in that because it is
fantasy, I expected them to unmask his truly ogre-ish past and rid the
world of him.  But she doesn't let us have this fantasy conclusion (one
which would possibly appeal to a lot of preteens and teens who dearly
wish that they could get rid of their "ogrish" parents.)  Instead she
suddenly makes us grapple with some real world issues, such as how
blended families have to figure out how to live together in relative
harmony, despite lingering resentment and feelings of abandonment.

Jackie S.