DWJs in other languages

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 25 22:26:26 EDT 2002

Philip wrote:
Gosh, the things you learn on the list!  I had no idea Spain had four
official
languages.  What are they?  Spanish=Castilian, Catalan, Basque, but what's
the fourth?

Galician (in English), Gallego (in Spanish).  It's spoken in the
northwestern corner of Spain, Galicia.  I spent four weeks there this
summer and it was fabulous.I must confess I did buy Harry Potter in
Gallego (if there had been a DWJ available, I would have bought that
instead, I swear).  It is very similar to Portuguese.

I have to say, I am impressed.  Most people I talk to in the US have no
idea that any language but Spanish is spoken in Spain.  I am taking
Catalan right now and most people I have told don't seem to have a clue
what it is.

Laurie