OT Norman French and Old English

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 05:15:12 EDT 2002

On 25/9/02 4:37 am, "Sally Odgers" <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:

> An appeal to all the clever, helpful *scholarly* folks on DWJ...
>
> (1)  Could you tell me how much difference there is between Norman French
> and modern French? I have a made-up word "aide ami" which means, roughly,
> "helper and friend" but that's made up of modern dictionary components. How
> would it be in Norman French? Or, failing that, in Latin?
>
> (2)   The name Aelfthryth is given as an alternative to Elfrida. Does that
> imply it is pronounced the same? My talking computer programme says
> EEL-thrith, but I think that's just picking up phonetics.
>
> (3)   Any Latin scholars there? I have a (very) short passage I'd like
> rendered into Latin, but a dictionary translation wouldn't work well.
>

> Sallyo

Hi Sally

I did Old English for a year at uni, but we weren't taught it as a language,
it was more a case of looking up the words in the back of the book and
trying to guess translate passages from Beowulf, etc.  We all loathed it...

The only things I can remember is that they had a special letter, thorn,
which is pronounced th, and y is like u, so cyninge (king) is pronounced
cuninge (the ge is pronounced). So I don't think Aelfrthryth is exactly the
same as Elfrida, its an alternative?  But I could be wrong!

Michelle