OT Was anyone else in the uk awake?

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 16:57:16 EDT 2002

I grew up in New Zealand (until I was 5), and
experienced several earthquakes there, but have no
memory of them. However we did have one here in
Newcastle 12 years ago which was quite memorable. 13
people were killed in the city although at 5.5 it
wasn't a large quake. When it hit my wife and one
daughter were in our shed which housed the book
collection. The whole building shook - you could see
the walls move. One shelf of books fell down, and
there were several cracks in the walls of the house.
My wife who also grew up in an Earthquake prone
country - New Guinea (also until 5) - knew exactly
what it was, she yelled "a gurrea - out of the house"
apparently "gurrea" is the Pidgeon word for earthquake
- something she didn't even know she knew. My other
daughter was in our house at the time and just thought
my wife was angry about something. Later in talking to
the kids at the school I taught at one told me he'd be
on the toilet at the time, an experience he didn't
want to go into.

Jon Noble