OT Was anyone else in the uk awake?

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Mon Sep 23 11:52:40 EDT 2002

Hey, congrats on no longer being an earthquake virgin!

I tend to have the opposite reaction to shaking--my first thought is
ALWAYS that it is an earthquake.  I grew up in and still live in Southern
California, and I experienced the big 1971 quake and of course all the
various shakers in the 1990s.  One of the very interesting things that I
noticed on a visit to the UK recently is how often I do assume that
something is an earthquake, because I would catch myself thinking that
unconsciously and then say to myself, wait, I'm in LONDON!  This can't be
a quake.

But, clearly, I was wrong.  It could have been!

Jackie S.