DWJ Reviews (Was: Re: The Ropemaker by Peter Dickinson)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Sep 20 08:18:06 EDT 2002

>On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>|Which leads me to the question part of this: where did DWJ review
>|TTL?  Presumably in some British paper, but which one?  Does anyone
>|see her reviews around?  I really wondered if taking the two lines
>|out of context had altered the opinion she actually gave, but then
>|tried a google search and saw all these rave reviews, so maybe I'm
>|just weird in my response on this one.
>
>publishers send books off to authors and say "read this, give me a
>blurb!"  It's unlikely to be a published review.

Thanks, I'm sure that's probably it.  I was thinking of Philip
Pullman, who regularly reviews (or used to, at least) children/YA
books in the Guardian, and a couple of others, whose names escape me
atm.  Oh, and I remembered the not-so-positive reviewer of _Coraline_
as saying that DWJ (and Pullman?) had reviewed it recently.  Probably
he didn't say exactly that.

Hallie.