Mythology, Norse and otherwise

Fri Sep 20 00:43:44 EDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:43:40 -0700 (PDT), Ven wrote:

> this reminds me of Odin
>hanging on the tree and losing his eye. Btw did
>the Norns end up with the eye or did Dwj invent
>that bit?

Didn't Odin give up the eye to the Norns for the chance to gain greater
power?  It's been too long since I read Norse mythology, but that's what I
vaguely remember.  I do know that it was a trade--his eye was the price for
drinking from some well of endless wisdom, or something--and my sense was
that the Norns wanted it because it was the eye of a god.

We *are* reading Greek mythology right now, and strangely enough the
recommended text turned out to be the D'aulaires' collection that I read as
a child.  I would never have remembered it had I not seen the illustrations,
which are distinctive.  Now the kids are tired of me reminding them of all
the things Disney changed when they did "Hercules"....

Melissa Proffitt