I Ate'nt Dead -- or That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 18 20:43:40 EDT 2002

Jennifer wrote

> Ven wrote:
> > The reuniting of sundered parts of a
personality
> > or a person. This is common in Dwj, is it a
> > personal motif?

<I'm not sure if this is a different thought, or
just expressed in a
different way.........>

        SPOILERS -- HMC

Different but apposite I think! What I was
thinking about were the literal sunderings --
like Ben Suliman and Prince Justin in HMC who
irrc were split and muddled up into a dog, a
scarecrow, a skull and an animated headless body,
the mother in Wilkin's Tooth, Mark and Herrel in
SWM as well as Maree. These fit well with
mythological  dismemberings like Osiris'

Howl separated out his own heart and gave it to
Calcifer, which gave him more magic to play with
as well as an advisor -- this reminds me of Odin
hanging on the tree and losing his eye. Btw did
the Norns end up with the eye or did Dwj invent
that bit?

Jennifer
<.......... but I think Dwj's interest in
identity could be thought of as
characters being masked- other people choose what
they appear as, (or they
choose to hide part of themselves) but by the end
of the book they have
removed the masks and are fully rounded.>

Sometimes they don't even know the hidden part is
there, like Cat, Sophie or Christopher Chant. The
part that is missing is related to their magic
but while Cat and CC have their magic blocked and
have no idea what makes them special Sophie may
well be in denial -- her magic works but she sits
in the backroom of that shop talking to hats.
Sophie seems to have decided what mask she is
"supposed " to wear and allowed that to guide her
actions.

Spoilers

So Sophie is in hiding as an old woman/oldest of
three, but lets herself be
a witch and happy at the end. Mordion is horribly
cramped into the Servant,
but the Bannus removes his constraints, and by
making the Reigners into
characters, makes them show their true selves as
well. (Mordion is also a
very strong case for the resurrection idea, I
think).>

He is, I don't think I dealt with that bit very
well because I was getting muddled by Hexwood
again (or was it Dwj in the guise of the Bannus?)

snip

The motifs of identity and rebirth are very
closely entwined. I didn't get that far with
Greek philosophy but I do remember that you can't
step in the same river twice which I suppose
means you can't go back you can only go on  -
like Jamie (HB).

Incidentally I think it's time I reread Dwj's
essay on The Narrative Structure Of Lord of the
Rings (in Everard's Ride), it's surely relevant.
Hmm.... I wonder? how many fantasy authors have
been taught by Prof Tolkien?

=====
Ven