DWJ Reviews (Was: Re: The Ropemaker by Peter Dickinson)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Sep 18 16:22:45 EDT 2002

>This is in a local discount shop- I've read the beginning and am quite
>tempted, but my book budget for the next few months is about tuppence. Is it
>worth buying, requesting at the library (can take months) or not bothering?
>Any other good new(ish) YA books out? I haven't read any for some time and
>feel like a nice quest.

Haven't read _The Ropemaker_, and haven't read any new(ish) YA books
lately that I liked a lot, but everyone *else* (including DWJ) seems
to love Cornelia Funke's _The Thief Lord_.  I picked it up because it
sounded good and especially because of the DWJ quote on the cover,
but found it only ok.  Not great.  Also read _Spiggot's Quest_, which
I found promising in the beginning, but disappointing overall.
(Needed serious editing, which may have been part of what put me
off.) They're around everywhere, probably in your library too?

Which leads me to the question part of this: where did DWJ review
TTL?  Presumably in some British paper, but which one?  Does anyone
see her reviews around?  I really wondered if taking the two lines
out of context had altered the opinion she actually gave, but then
tried a google search and saw all these rave reviews, so maybe I'm
just weird in my response on this one.

Hallie.