Hi again ;)

Liina Poropudas lina at niksula.hut.fi
Wed Sep 18 12:25:51 EDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Satu S Hlinovsky wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Maaria Salo wrote:
> > Wellcome to the list, Anna-Leena! Nice to have another Finn here.
>
> Oo, I never realised there are so many of us Finns, four at least.

This is amazing :) Maybe we should actually get together sometime.

> > Good news! Year of the Griffin is coming out in Finnish this year.
>
> Well, I don't know if it's good news. I prefer reading them in the
> original, partly for the same reason you do; when reading translations I
> keep wondering what caused all those odd mistakes and misunderstandings in
> it (I guess I could call it an occupational hazard - I work as a
> translator).

I think it is good news, although you are right about translations.
(The average fantasy translation here is usually rather sloppy.)

But I think it's about time DWJ got translated so even Finnish kids can
enjoy her books. Furthermore, books like Charmed Life (Noidan veli in
Finnish) should be reprinted because the original translation is rather
old now and probably not easily available. Translations are a good
start, however. I'd rather see a new DWJ translation than, say, a Jordan
any day :)

> Hope to hear more of you on this list!

Me too. This is great!

--