I Ate'nt Dead -- or That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Mon Sep 16 12:21:31 EDT 2002

All I can say is Wow!  What a post!

Well, that's not all, I suppose.  I also found myself thinking that you
have the skeleton of a dissertation here, or at the very least a good
paper.  For me, I suppose, the next thing that I was wondering is, what
to make of all of the really interesting examples that you pull from the
various texts?  Is there a common motif or theme that she seems to be
using death and resurrection to convey to us?  I suppose that one thing
that comes out for me in many of the books is the idea of hope for the
future--that no matter how bleak things look, we should always look to
the future with hope and even joy, in the midst of sorrow, because we
never know what is going to happen (I'm thinking particularly of Dark
Lord here).  I'm reminded, as well, of the end of the movie, Harold and
Maud.

At the same time, this is not due to anything like an organized religion
or single deity in any of the books that I have read (I haven't read them
all--some are sitting on my shelf waiting for me to have the time to
savor them--aren't some of you jealous?!)  And in some books, the sort
of, I don't know, milieu, seems to be pagan and very nature-based.  Also
based on folklore and myth which are in turn not Christian in origin, but
again pagan....

Hmm.  Does the issue of self-sacrifice complicate this?  In a sense, I
can see Jamie of Homeward Bounders as being rather Christ-like in his

Spoiler?

sacrificing his own life for the sake of all the worlds.  But this is
also linked, explicitly, to a non-Christian myth.

Hmm.  Well, you've given me a lot to chew over as I read and re-read...

Thank you!

Jackie S.