I Ate'nt Dead -- or That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 11:48:46 EDT 2002

Wow.  What a piece of scholarship.  I haven't taken it all in yet, but I'd like
to add my bit on Changeover...

Spoiler

warning

space

> Changeover -- only read this once over twenty
> years ago so I have no idea.

Ooh!  Twenty years ago, I wasn't even aware that Changeover existed!

I was about to dismiss this as having no rebirth motif at all, but now I think
of it, I can see it all over the place.  Dunno if it was conscious on DWJ's
part.

Here the entire country of Nmkwami is heading for new life - independence - but
has to go through death - civil collapse - first.

Tessa also experiences a death - running away from home - and rebirth - new life
with [that would be too much of a spoiler!]

Neville, whom I would have thought of as a fairly minor character, has one of
the more obvious death (plane crash), hell (walking across the desert) and
rebirth (a really fun job with the new regime) sequences.

To stretch a point a bit further, the bomb - an instrument of death! - actually
experiences a phyiscal burial.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Chi Yin has a fairly subtle rebirth, confessing his
stealing of the bomb.  He and a number of other characters get forgiven by their
victims towards the end of the book.

That do?

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970