Magicians of Caprona

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Sep 13 12:56:46 EDT 2002

Drat, I put the post to one side to reply later only to find that Robyn said
it all first :)

Robyn Starkey wrote:
> I think there is a reason for the stereotypical
> italians in the book, echoing Shakespeare's stereotypical
> italians, and as  such it isn't nearly as silly and obvious as is
suggested.

> I think it is strange to treat them as a series in a strict
> sense, because  Chrestomanci is quite a different character in each.
Although
> he appears,  not all the books are really about him, so it is a bit hard
> to compare.

When I read the first post I thought hmmm... I suppose they are a bit
stereotyped, aren't they? I'd not thought about it before. I think I get
immersed in Tonino's viewpoint and see them as just his family and his city.
And I do think it's done affectionately- these are the good guys, after all
(well, except for the feud). Sometimes when I notice something like this, it
spoils further readings a bit, but this doesn't seem important enough to do
that for me.

I also find it difficult to compare the Chrestomanci books, because they
*feel* different. They feel like they're all set in different worlds- I know
LoCC and MoC are "really" set in the same world as CL, but it's a different
time and a different country. I like Magicians- it's a nice romp. Witch Week
seems a lot darker. But it's hard to say that any of them is better, because
I don't think they're all trying to do the same thing. (OTOH, I think
Spellcoats is better than Dark Lord, and they aren't connected at all...
maybe it's just that all the Chrestomanci ones are in my "good dwj book"
pigeonhole, but none of them stick out as way better than the others. It's
true that they don't feel like sequels, though.)
Jennifer