new covers / intro

Fri Sep 13 12:41:24 EDT 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:37:58 -0500, Margaret Ball wrote:

>Hi, my name is Margaret Ball and as a longtime dwj fan I'm happy to have
>found this list. I write sf/fantasy too, although not in her league (I
>wish!).

Welcome to the list!  I love your stories in the Chicks in Chainmail
series--they're like my own secret fantasy life.  :)

>>Besides, in
>>general it strikes me as exactly the kind of cover you get when the artist
>>has only read a snippet of the book.  Not that it's terrible artwork, just
>>not representative.
>>
>Unfortunately, a cover which has little or nothing to do with the book
>contents is common practice. Anybody ever go to a filksinging session?
>
>"There's a dragon on the cover of the book,
>There's a dragon on the cover of the book,
>He is green and he has scales,
>And he's nowhere in the tale,
>But there's a dragon on the cover of the book!"

Amen to that.  My favorite example of a cover that has nothing at all to do
with the contents is Michael Flynn's _In the Country of the Blind_, the 1990
pb printing (it's since been reissued with a much more appropriate cover).
The title refers, of course, to "in the country of the blind, the one-eyed
man is king" and the figure on the cover is a dark, brooding man with a
patch over one eye.  The line above the title reads "Beware the one-eyed
man..."  Apparently they missed the fact that the title is a metaphor, that
there are no one-eyed men anywhere in the book, and the main character is a
black woman.  But I had a good laugh over it.

Melissa Proffitt