Hexwood Cover

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu Sep 12 20:54:00 EDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 06:04:47PM +1000, Kathleen Jennings wrote:
> This cover looks markedly similar a Donato Giancola illustration of LotR (it
> should be on www.donatoart.com (?) if you're interested).

Similar?  It's exactly the same!
<http://www.donatoart.com/print21b.jpg>

Then, taking a quick look at some of the stuff there, it wouldn't be the
only painting which had been done of one subject, and then been used as
a cover for something completely different.  I have a niggling feeling
that this picture <http://www.donatoart.com/print27b.jpg> titled "Joan
of Arc" was used for a cover for one of the "Ash" books (by Mary Gentle,
wasn't it?)

But gee, I'm glad you pointed it out, now that's another SF/F artist I
can admire by name...

Kathryn Andersen