new covers (Was RE: new Deep Secret edition

Kale kaledann at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 03:25:19 EDT 2002

--- "Rowland, Jennifer A B"
<jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> [US edition of Deep Secret]
> >  You can take a look at the cover now at
> Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0765342472/qid=1

031721484/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-3457458-4754241?v=glance&s=books

> I like the illustration, shame about the tagline.

I hadn't thought about it that way.  A bit kiddy.  I
know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but you
do have certain expectations from the cover image.

A friend of mine purchased the new US edition of
_Hexwood_, which seems to have been packaged as a
fantasy novel.  She's baffled by the contents, having
bought it on the basis of the cover, which looks like
this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/006029888X/qid=1031814699/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-7689518-0612922?v=glance&s=books

My reaction is that it is a very nice cover--it just
does *not* belong with this book in the sense that
anyone picking up this edition will be expecting a
rousing fantasy adventure with three young men on a
quest and be extraordinarily confused by Ann Stavely,
sick in bed, spying on her neighbor's activities.  I
might end up getting the UK edition because I like
that cover much more.

*snip Liaden Universe digression*

Kale
(who needs to catch up on the Liaden books)