Missing centaur

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Sep 10 03:26:09 EDT 2002

Philip:

I was reading Deep Secret last week, and I'm a little puzzled.

There's a coincidence, I'm just reading it to Cara.  (I know, there is no
such thing as coincidence...)

The computer file that Rupert cracked claimed that Timos IX had two
centaur
offspring, born a couple of years apart, on the world Lixos, i.e.
Thalangia.  Of
these two, Rob was one, living chez Knarros.  Who was the other?

We are told that Rupert sent all three of Timos' surviving children to
Babylon,
implying that the other centaur is dead.

Gram and Janine are only accused of having killed one centaur -
presumably
Knarros - so how - and when - did the missing centaur cop it?

It looks like we're meant to assume that Kris is the other centaur prince
until
it is revealed that Gram was actually Kris's father.

Anyone spotted any clues I've missed?

No, I haven't at least.  I read ahead to the end after packing Cara off to
bed last night, and was thinking the only possible solution was that the
centaurs weren't considered heirs.  In that case, the missing one might
have been living somewhere else, and Rob only with Knarros because
he was his uncle.  But as you say, it does specifically say that Rupert
sent the three living heirs to Babylon, making Rob already considered
an heir.  Which bu- ...er,  rather does for that as a solution, weak as it
was.

Hallie.