Coraline and DWJ

Kale kaledann at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 8 21:16:06 EDT 2002

I'd been studiously avoiding any reviews for
"Coraline" till I'd read it.  And I'll probaby still
keep avoiding the reviews now that I've read it.  I
can't speak towards the comparison to Lewis Carroll,
but I completely agree with the rest of DWJ's blurb
about it being splendidly original, weird, and
frightening, and yet full of things children will
love.  And I think it scared me more as an adult than
it would as a kid, though I am firmly in touch with
my inner child due to all these children's books I've
been reading lately.

I pretty much ignored all the pictures, Gaiman's
descriptions doing a really good job of sending chills
up my spine.  (I love the way he uses words even more
than I love his stories.)  What I pictured in my head
was so much more disturbing than Dave McKean's
illustrations.  While it might've been interesting as
a graphic novel, as that reviewer suggested, I think
it's just fine on its own.  (Anyone see the Dark Horse
graphic novel adaptation of his short story "Harlequin
Valentine"?  It works, but his words are still the
most powerful element of the comic.)

--- Caleb W <scalebw at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
*snip*

> I had a strange dream last night that was a kind of
> cross between "Stardust"
> and "Neverwhere". I got caught by this strange girl
> who captured me with
> something like the way the star was caught in
> "Stardust", who then took me
> to the strange Under version of Maidenhead (town
> near London where my family

Funny, I was reading Daniel Pinkwater's "The Snarkout
Boys and the Avocado of Death", and there was a scene
which involves going *under* a street.  It was like
London Below, only not nearly as dangerous and a lot
more fun.  I can't decide what I think about this
book.  I liked the beginning, shook my head when it
turned into a Sherlock Holmes pastiche, and am still
scratching my head about the ending.  But that
understreet scene was lots of fun, along with
Blueberry(?) Park where all sorts of people make
speeches about the most bizarre things.

> lives). It also involved me being attacked by a
> particularly viscous mouse,
> or something! I also found a copy of "American Gods"

Aw, mice aren't vicious.  It's the rats that are
vicious.  (May the rats of NIMH forgive me.)

Kale
(who is looking forward to reading the DWJ literary
book whenever her sister deigns to send it)