Not so first notice

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Sun Sep 8 17:08:09 EDT 2002

Well, I hate to disappoint you again, but I tried to read Pure Dead Magic
and thought it was so bad that I didn't even bother finishing it.  I felt
like the characters acted in ways that merely furthered the plot rather
than in ways that were logical to the character.  For example, the girl
takes a bunch of frozen food out of the freezer to look at something and
then just wanders away, leaving it all there on the floor.  She was
definitely old enough to know better than to leave frozen food on the
floor, and she is not portrayed as stupid or absent minded.  But it seems
that was the only way the author could think of to make the freezer break
down (the food melted and the water shorted out the freezer.)  Then the
same character borrows her mother's wand and practices miniaturizing
things, including her bed.  Then she throws herself on the bed,
"forgetting" that it is as small as a matchbox.  How on earth can you
"forget" this?  Either the bed is there for throwing yourself on or it
isn't.  That's when I put the book down.  Who knows--maybe it gets
better?  Anyone else care to comment?

Jackie Stallcup