Coraline and DWJ

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Thu Sep 5 12:51:02 EDT 2002

I read Coraline aloud straight through to Ingrid on Sunday when we
thought labor was starting... false alarm, alas. It was good, very
creepy, especially as we finished around 2 AM...

I through the Independent review actually wasn't too far off: Lewis
Carroll it isn't, and I don't know that anything as compact as
Carroll could be these days: you'd have to write to an audience with
a much more dispersed cultural background than Carroll's, and so much
of the books are bound up in  parody and in-jokes...

In a way it reminded me of Jane Yolen's book The Wild Hunt. Lots of
atmosphere, and a really hard push on the part of the author to make
the very air a sort of character. I think Gaiman's is a better book.

That said, it is an ambitious book in its way, and as I said, very
creepy. Vintage Gaiman.

And it must be selling well. The copy we got last week was the 8th US printing!

Nat