e-books

Caleb W scalebw at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 14:16:47 EDT 2002

I haven't really read e-books in particular, although I have read some
longer, quite good, pieces of fan fiction, and also I've been reading "The
Dying Days", a rare out-of-print, and very fun, Doctor Who book on the BBC
website. I definitely don't like reading long pieces on a computer screen.
Apart from not being as nice on the eyes, I find my attention wanders a lot
easier and I'm much liklier to slip into skim-reading. Reading stories on
piles of A4 sheets isn't much fun either. With "The Dying Days" I fiddled
around to print it in the style of the books and so that it can be folded up
to be like a book. It works quite well, but is a big fiddle.

I really like the idea of being able to download stories off the internet to
read. If there was a reasonably priced reader that had something of the
"feel" of a book and all the advantages of portability and so on that a book
has, I'd be very interested, especially if I could store lots of books on
it. Philip's description of an e-book he'd like sounds good, although it
looks like it will be a while before e-books catch on.

Caleb W.