feedback thanks and response

November, Sharyn SNOVEMBER at penguinputnam.com
Wed Oct 30 21:14:26 EST 2002

Hey, Digesters:

I've already gotten a few emails directly, and thanks so much.  Reader
suggestions have led to some great Firebirds.

Since Jennifer posted to the list, I'm going to respond to her on the list

Thanks for the website suggestions -- I will send them to our webmaster.
Every little bit helps.

> (I don't much like Brian Jacques, so I was sorry to see so many of his in
the future schedule,
> but that's not your fault :P)

The Jacques titles were not on the Original Firebird Plan, FYI -- they (and
the concept of the larger-sized Firebirds) were a late addition.

> I never like the kind of ones that Michel Bohbot does, "realistically"
> illustrating a scene from the book

Thing is, it's hard to think of what else could go on these covers.  They're
not actually fantasy per se, and none of Lloyd's other covers for us (we do
all of his backlist in Puffin, save Prydain) is wildly fantastical either.
We thought Bohbot was a good compromise -- something that says "genre," but
isn't overly cutting-edge/obscure.

> Or a few of the Australian authors who never seem to be published over
here?

I'm working with a few folks -- Alison Goodman (SINGING THE DOGSTAR BLUES)
and Isobelle Carmody.  I also have many Australian publishers (including our
own Penguin Australia) actively sending me new books.  Penguin Canada, too.

Oh, and (this is even worse to mention) I've read ABHORSEN (Garth's on the
board, too).  It is everything you could hope for, believe me!  sdn

Sharyn November
Senior Editor
Viking Children's Books/Puffin Books
SNovember at penguinputnam.com
www.firebirdbooks.com

If you were not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender and delete all copies.