Re If you're really bored

M Elizabeth Parks meparks at mtholyoke.edu
Tue Oct 29 20:58:42 EST 2002

a little late on this one. . . please forgive me ;)

1. IF YOU COULD BUILD A HOUSE ANYWHERE, WHERE WOULD IT BE?

	By the ocean-not a beach-y ocean, but  rocky one with cliffs,
maybe.  It would have secret passages (my number one requirement in a
house-always has been, always will be ;) and lots and lots of windows
because I really dislike artifical light.  I make do at night, but as long
as there's any natural light available I use that.  The other thing that I
would love in a house is a gorgeously big and luxurious bathtub.  I do
some of my best thinking there. . . I guess I'd better not live in
California, then, what with the droughts.  Maine appeals to me a lot, as
does the coast of Scotland.  I really, really like the cold.

 2. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ARTICLE OF CLOTHING?

	Underwear.  Not to sound strange or anything (somebody else has
surely said this?  I haven't made it through all the answers yet) but I
really really love underwear.  Some women buy shoes.  I buy strapless bras
and string bikinis and garter belts and thongs.  I don't care too much
what I'm wearing on top, but what I'm wearing underneath tends to color my
mood.

 3. FAVOURITE PHYSICAL FEATURES

	. . . that's hard.  Honestly?  My toes.  I have a double jointed
big toe on one of my feet, and when I move it back and forth I can
entertain small children for long periods of time.  Plus I really like to
paint my toenails in funky colors-my current favorites are (my
names) hana-bi (fireworks) red and gunmetal gray.

 4. WHAT'S THE LAST CD THAT YOU BOUGHT?

	Two dollar used version of something by the Lemonheads.  If I had
money I'd go buy the new Coldplay, as I can't seem to stop listening to
the mp3s. . . also finally got around to getting Soul Coughing's 'ruby
vroom.'  I'm currently trying to figure out if M. Doughty (from soul
coughing) has a new cd out (because I heard something about him touring
for his new book of poetry).  Have also recently been addicted to 'the
camel song' by a band called Southern Culture on the
Skids.  Aaand. . . some of my friends are trying to get me into Gackt (who
is a Japanese singer and, uh, very interesting).

5. WHERE ARE YOUR FAVOURITE PLACES TO BE?

	With my friends.  In the sunlight.  On the beach.  On a certain
bench in St.Andrews overlooking the ruins of the castle and the cliff,
with fish and chips to sustain me.  In my ethics class  In someone's
embrace.  In the bathtub.  In the middle of a dwj book.

 6. WHERE'S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE PLACE TO BE?

	Anywhere that requires me to be there before about nine-thirty in
the morning.

7. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO BE MASSAGED?

	Oh, god.  Completely, utterly, and totally-my head.  I adore adore
adore head massages.  One of my flatmates was playing with my hair last
night as I struggled to make sense (and a paper) out of Kierkegaard (quite
adore him, btw), and she laughed at me because after she stopped I was
unconsciously rubbing my head against the edge of my chair.  She tells me
I'm like a cat.  I get that a lot-in the purry, affectionate, rubbing
against your legs sort of way.  In the stretching in the sunlight sort of
way.  Not in the graceful way ;)

8.	STRONG IN MIND OR STRONG BODY?

	Stronger than I look in body, but then again I spend more time
working on strengthening my mind.  Sometimes I think I see results ;)

9. WHAT TIME DO YOU WAKE IN THE MORNING?

	I used to be able to sleep until two.  Now I'm almost always up by
eleven at the latest.  I like best doing what I did this morning-sleeping
until about nine, and then working for a few hours before I have to do
anything.  I like to wake slowly.  I hate waking up the way I did
yesterday and will tomorrow-with blaring alarms, in dazed stupor, in time
for my early class (midterm yesterday L)

10. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE KITCHEN APPLIANCE?

	Dunno if this counts, but. . . I really love potato mashers.  I
like to make mashed potatoes that are slightly lumpy.

11.	WHAT MAKES YOU REALLY ANGRY?

I don't get angry a lot.  I get sad at a lot of political things,
but. . . I was angry at a friend the other day because I felt
uncared-for.  I was over it by the next morning.  I can't seem to hold
grudges-when I was little I tried.  I used to get mad at my parents and
swear to never speak to them again.  I was always over it and trying to
hug them into not being mad at me before they were over it, which didn't
really lead to many hugs, but. . . ;)

12. IF YOU COULD PLAY ANY INSTRUMENT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

	I miss the voice I had at the point in time where I was doing
voice lessons twice a week and choir five days a week.  That's what I'd
want back.  Other than that. . . I don't know.  Any instrument,
really.  What I'd love to be able to do is pick up an instrument and just
naturally be good at it.

13. FAVOURITE COLOUR?
        Greens and blues.

14. WHICH DO YOU PREFER, SPORTS CAR OR SUV?

	Totally, totally anti-SUV.  I did a paper on energy efficiency
once and found out that the US's gas effieciency has dropped something
like fifteen percent in the past decade because of SUVs.  That's just
ridiculous.  Plus they make it hard for those of us with little cars to
back out of parking spaces. . . I like little cars, but I'm not sure I'd
want a sports car.  I've just come out of 'zen and the art of motorcycle
maintenance' in my ethics class, so I wouldn't mind trying out a
motorcycle.  I like bicycles a lot, too. . ...

15. DO YOU BELIEVE IN AFTER LIFE?

	(g)
	That's probably not a good question to ask a religion major.
	Short answer?  Sort of.

16. FAVOURITE CHILDREN'S BOOK(S)?

	Howl's Moving Castle.  Hexwood.  LoCC.  Everything else DWJ ever
wrote.

	L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle.

	Tamora Pierce's Wild Magic series.

	The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass, Northern Lights.  In that
order.

	The Monster at the End of this Book, by Grover.

	Anything Patricia Wrede ever wrote.

	Etc.

	Etc.

	Etc.

17. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SEASON?

	In the spring it's spring; in the fall it's fall.  The rest of the
year it varies between the two depending on my mood.

18. WHAT'S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE HOUSEHOLD CHORE?

	Cleaning out cat boxes.  Which sucks because I adore my cat and
would never want to be without a cat.

19.   IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE SUPER POWER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

	Flying or shapeshifting.  Probably shapeshifting because then I
could grow myself wings if I wanted to.

20 DO YOU HAVE A TATTOO?

No, but ask me again at the end of the school year.

21. CAN YOU JUGGLE?

I went out with a boy who juggled rubber chickens once.  Does that count?

Er. . . no.  I can't juggle.

22. THE ONE PERSON FROM YOUR PAST YOU WISH YOU COULD GO BACK & TALK TO?

>From my past?  Me.  I wish I could go back and just reassure myself a
little bit during a few Hard Times in my life.

23. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE DAY?

Right now, any day but Wednesday.  I like Thursdays, in general, but with
my current schedule Tuesdays are lovely.  I've always had mixed feelings
on Saturdays and Sundays-on the one hand the vacation is lovely; on the
other, they tend to fill with boredom, work, or some combination of the
two.

24. WHAT'S IN YOUR CAR TRUNK? BOOT!

An umbrella, a map, and the newest translation of the Tale of Genji.

25. WHICH DO YOU PREFER, SUSHI OR HAMBURGER?

Whichever one isn't dorm food ;)

26.  OF THE PEOPLE YOU E-MAILED THIS TO, WHO'S MOST  LIKELY TO RESPOND?

 27. WHO'S LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND?