New books

Michelle Thomas michellet at thecreativepartnership.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 06:02:13 EST 2002

On 29/10/02 10:41 am, "Rowland, Jennifer A B" <jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

> I read it some months ago, so I couldn't discuss in detail, but I'd love to
> hang round the edges of a discussion and put a word in here and there. (You
> have to read Lirael now!)

I can't!  Lirael isn't going to be published in the UK until September 2003.
I bought Sabriel in hardcover in an extravagant mood - I also bought William
Dalrymple's new book in hardcover.

> There was an enthusiastic review of Sabriel in the Gaurdian's Review section
> a couple of weeks ago, which I read going "yes, but" all the way through.
> She seemed to love it as a horror novel, (and she thought Ancelstierre was
> supposed to be modern England, which I don't think it is) whereas I'd liked
> it very much as fantasy. The things I remember strongly are the characters
> and the world and the Charter, and I hadn't thought of the dead as "armies
> of zombies" at all. Although bits were frightening, I don't think it was,
> well, *horrific* in atmosphere, like in the horror genre. It reminded me
> more of The Furthest Shore.

Modern England?  How strange that she thought that.  Must read the review.

I really liked the character of Sabriel and thought that Garth Nix did a
great job getting under the skin of an 18 year old girl.  I also liked
Mogget, and loved the concept of the Charter and Charter magic, and the way
that it is described.  Definitely readagainable!

Michelle