Garner's "The Owl Service"

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 22:36:52 EST 2002

--- "Ian W. Riddell" <iwriddell at charter.net> wrote:

> 1. What does it mean to say that someone is
> "sken-eyed"?

Sken is a dialect word related to "askance" the
meaning could be "squint" or "to give a side look" or
"glance" (source Shorter OED)

> 2. What does someone mean when they say they've got
> the "ab-dabs"?

I've not heard this one.

On "The owl service" I remember reading an account by
Garner of the filming of this. It seemed to be quite
spooky with some of the aspects of the story also
manifesting itself amoung the actors involved. To look
at AG's influence also look at some of his other books
"Wierdstone of Brisingamen" "Moon of Gomrath" and
"Elidor" are more conventional fantasies, while "Red
shift" which was later is a more challenging work. All
are recomended.

Jon Noble