thread suggestion (Was Re: archives

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 28 20:04:37 EST 2002

>Just to give a bit of background, the F&FT course is a senior level
>course designed to be one of the last courses that the English majors
>take--a senior seminar. The course is limited to 18 students, who are
>expected to have a solid grounding in literary concepts.  So, we get to
>use some theory, which is fun.  I spend the first four weeks discussing
>the following theoretical concepts:  Folklore, Children and Fairy Tales,
>Feminism and Literature, Feminism and Art.  Then we plunge into
>traditional tales, picture book versions of folktales and modern "adult"
>retellings.  Fire and Hemlock will be the only novel that we do.  If
>anyone is interested in the syllabus, I'll post it as soon as I've got
>the new one put together (we just ordered books).

This sounds great. I'd love to see the syllabus. I have a suggestion for a
theory-type reading - the first couple of chapters of _Troublesome Things_
by Diane Purkiss (a DWJ fan who some people may know from the girlsown
list). She talks about the origin of fairy myths. I found the book quite
resonant of some of the ideas of fairies in DWJ's books, even though they
aren't explicitly discussed.

Robyn