Garner's "The Owl Service"

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Oct 28 16:58:37 EST 2002

So, I've been branching out a bit and interspersing other authors'
works in between volumes of DWJ so I don't run out of books too soon.

I've been reading Alan Garner's "The Owl Service" and am really
enjoying it. I read somewhere that he was an influence on people like
Susan Cooper and DWJ and I can really see that (in the case of Cooper
especially).

I do have a couple of idom questions (being a North American) that I'm
wondering if anyone on the list can help me with. The rest of it I've
figured out.

1. What does it mean to say that someone is "sken-eyed"?

2. What does someone mean when they say they've got the "ab-dabs"?

Thanks in advance

blessings

widdy

-----
Eight blunders of the world that lead to violence: wealth without work,
pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce
without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice,
politics without principle, and rights without responsibilities.
Mahatma and Arun Gandhi
-----
Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net