thread suggestion (Was Re: archives

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Mon Oct 28 12:03:28 EST 2002

Ooh, I'm flattered!

At least I assume that you're pointing it out because it is interesting,
not because you want everyone to throw electronic tomatoes!

And that reminds me that I was going to tell you all that I'm planning to
teach Fire and Hemlock in conjunction with Tam Lin in my Feminism and
Fairy Tales course next semester.  I'll keep you updated as to how it
goes...  And if anyone has any suggestions about setting it up, I'll be
glad to hear them!  The thread on Dark Lord was VERY useful for
me--everyone had great ideas and suggestions.

Just to give a bit of background, the F&FT course is a senior level
course designed to be one of the last courses that the English majors
take--a senior seminar. The course is limited to 18 students, who are
expected to have a solid grounding in literary concepts.  So, we get to
use some theory, which is fun.  I spend the first four weeks discussing
the following theoretical concepts:  Folklore, Children and Fairy Tales,
Feminism and Literature, Feminism and Art.  Then we plunge into
traditional tales, picture book versions of folktales and modern "adult"
retellings.  Fire and Hemlock will be the only novel that we do.  If
anyone is interested in the syllabus, I'll post it as soon as I've got
the new one put together (we just ordered books).

Jackie