If you're really bored

Joe Joe.Nankivell at ucd.ie
Fri Oct 25 10:48:37 EDT 2002

Hi all - Delurking to answer this.

1. IF YOU COULD BUILD A HOUSE ANYWHERE, WHERE WOULD IT BE?
Ooh, by a river please. No, the sea. Both. And near cinemas, 2nd
hand bookshops, wild countryside, good multidenominational
primary education, loud gigs... Dublin would be perfect if it were 3
hours nearer Dingle.
Oh go on then, Dublin'll do.

1A. WHAT SORT OF HOUSE WOULD YOU BUILD (HAVE)
THERE?
Old, rambling, not huge but with lots of nooks and crannies.
including one bespoke nook, which is a place for a desk with
a) a view through one of those wonky, rippled windows out over a
cosy garden, and
b) a fireplace nearby,
c) arranged so that whoever's working at the desk can't be
approached from behind.

2. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ARTICLE OF CLOTHING?
Walking boots.

3. FAVOURITE PHYSICAL FEATURES
New-born babies' hands or feet.

4. WHAT'S THE LAST CD THAT YOU BOUGHT?
You mean you have to BUY CDs? Oops.

5. WHERE ARE YOUR FAVOURITE PLACES TO BE?
On a bike at the crest of a hill.
Stuck in a book.

6. WHERE'S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE PLACE TO BE?
Stuck in the devil's service station outside Ponferrada waiting for a
lift at 9p.m.

7. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO BE MASSAGED?
Starting at the top and working down to the bottom.

8.  STRONG IN MIND OR STRONG BODY?
I love Philip's answer to this one.

9. WHAT TIME DO YOU WAKE IN THE MORNING?
Later than necessary. See 19.

10. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE KITCHEN APPLIANCE?
At the moment, a sink. We're washing up in the bathroom.

11.  WHAT MAKES YOU REALLY ANGRY?
Drivers who think cyclists aren't traffic.
People who can come up with reasons for going to war.

12. IF YOU COULD PLAY ANY INSTRUMENT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Piano accordion

13. FAVOURITE COLOUR?
I like the word indigo.

14. WHICH DO YOU PREFER, SPORTS CAR OR SUV?
Bicycle.
Don't get me started on SUVs - see 11. (But as a parenthetical
aside for people who share my loathing of the things, I'll mention
this. The most popular make in Ireland is the Mitsubishi Pajero -
especially beloved of slumlords and similar social groupings. The
word 'pajero' is well worth looking up in a good Spanish-English
dictionary. Its meaning is too gross to write here. They don't sell
very well in Spain...)

15. DO YOU BELIEVE IN AFTER LIFE?
Hm-hm.

16. FAVOURITE CHILDREN'S BOOK(S)?
The DWJ I'm reading (often Howl, but I just found a first ed. of
Dogsbody in Oxfam for 1 euro and discovered what a great book it
is); Tove Jansson's Moominvalley in November (or Moominsummer
madness); the one I'm writing.

16A. MOST DETESTED CHILDREN'S BOOK
The one I'm writing (see 19)

17. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SEASON?
Spring equinox.

18. WHAT'S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE HOUSEHOLD CHORE?
Discussing who hasn't done what.

19.   IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE SUPER POWER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
The ability not to procrastinate. Those of you who have this
probably don't think it's that super, but believe me it is.
Failing that, flight.

20. DO YOU HAVE A TATTOO?
No

21. CAN YOU JUGGLE?
Yes, up to four oranges. Or three eggs. Only one melon, though.

23. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE DAY?
Today, usually, but sometimes next week.

24. WHAT'S IN YOUR CAR TRUNK? BOOT!
See 14.
Strapped to my bike carrier I have a long electric flex for tying on
salvaged rubbish.

27. WHO'S LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
I was; then I did. What's going on?

28.  DO YOU HAVE PETS?
Not at present. Dorian, will you be looking for a kind home for one
of your kittens?

29.  IF YOU COULD HAVE ANY OTHER PET, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
The ogre's pipe sounds fun.

Joe