If you're really bored...

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 03:52:13 EDT 2002

Ania quoting someone quoting Dorian:

>>> They're a bizarre form of trouser, mostly now worn for golf.  First
>>> appeared in the 1920s, I think.  Basically, they're fairly loose
>>> down to just below the knee, where I think there's a cuff snugging
>>> them to the leg.  Properly worn with argyle socks below.
>>
>> Oh, *those*! Yet another reason why I'm confused by golf...

[...]

> plus fours. I was soon corrected; what he wore was plus twos, which he said
> were basically a less baggy version of plus fours.
> I've never heard of plus twos before or since, but the young man was well
> informed in these matters, so he was probably right.

Hmm.  That just about sums up plus fours, except to say that baggy breeches of
this sort (+2, +4) are generically known as knickerbockers.

Actually, I don't think the tailor who made mine used quite the full four inches
extra, so maybe they're plus twos.  I think of plus twos as defined above, but I
have also heard the definition that plus twos fasten above the knee, while plus
fours fasten below it (also consistent with two vs four inches extra).

My problem is in finding socks long enough to meet the plus fours at the
fastening point, and stay up there when I'm walking.  I've taken to using safety
pins hidden under the turnover of the socks to make sure they don't part company
with the breeches...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Powergen UK plc Registered Office: City Point 1, Ropemaker Street , London EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970