If you're really bored...

Ania theania at freeuk.com
Thu Oct 24 15:59:15 EDT 2002

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>
> > They're a bizarre form of trouser, mostly now worn for golf.  First
appeared
> > in the 1920s, I think.  Basically, they're fairly loose down to just
below
> > the knee, where I think there's a cuff snugging them to the leg.
Properly
> > worn with argyle socks below.
> Oh, *those*! Yet another reason why I'm confused by golf...

Once upon a time, when I was 29 or so, I pulled a very pretty 21 year old
(it was an occasion for great smugness, but the poor lad ran off fairly
early into the dalliance; I was too much for him, I think. But I digress),
who had a penchant for v. stylish dressing (for everyday!) in
Victorian/Edwardian/30s country gentleman clothes, incl. what I thought were
plus fours. I was soon corrected; what he wore was plus twos, which he said
were basically a less baggy version of plus fours.
I've never heard of plus twos before or since, but the young man was well
informed in these matters, so he was probably right.
Ania