If you're really bored...

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Oct 24 15:32:56 EDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> They're a bizarre form of trouser, mostly now worn for golf.  First appeared
> in the 1920s, I think.  Basically, they're fairly loose down to just below
> the knee, where I think there's a cuff snugging them to the leg.  Properly
> worn with argyle socks below.
Oh, *those*! Yet another reason why I'm confused by golf...

> He certainly wears freckled tweeds, IIRC - can't think if he actually had
> plus fours, though he might well have.  Plus fours are often made from
> tweed.
I couldn't remember if it was tweeds or plus fours specifically. Enh,
whatever. Of course, now Giles is my usual tweed association.

> According to my Brick, they are so called "because the overhang at the knee
> requires an extra four inches of material".
Ah. Nifty, and also a reasonable way to get a name.

> Known to some of us as Suburban Assault Vehicles... :-)
Ahahahahahahaha. I'm so using this from now on. Have you seen the SUV
limos? They're *terrifying*, and also bizarre. And enormous.