If you're really bored...

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 12:11:07 EDT 2002

Ania suggested:

>  Right then, list. Time to get talking. We all like questionnaires,
> don't we? and this one had the children's books question in it - I
> didn't add it! So, let's see the sparks coming off those keyboards!

Well, I'm not very bored at this minute, but I can't resist jumping in!

     1. IF YOU COULD BUILD A HOUSE ANYWHERE, WHERE WOULD IT BE?

The Mendip Hills.  Back in my own homeland, far enough from other houses that I
can walk out of the door and into the countryside without any intervening
streets, close enough to civilisation to be able to visit bookshops regularly...

     2. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ARTICLE OF CLOTHING?

My plus fours.

     3. FAVOURITE PHYSICAL FEATURES

I'm not really into physical features.  My fingers are the ones I find most
useful, though.

     4. WHAT'S THE LAST CD THAT YOU BOUGHT?

Gosh, it's ages since I bought a CD!  Probably the organ music one with a load
of Messiaen on it.  I first listened to it in Schenectady on a business trip.  I
had no US mains adapter for my portable CD player, so to save batteries I played
it through the built in speakers of the laptop PC I'd borrowed for the trip.
Ugh!  The lowest notes on the organ are totally inaudible that way...

     5. WHERE ARE YOUR FAVOURITE PLACES TO BE?

About 1 ft away from an open book.

At the piano, improvising.

Harptree Combe.  (A valley on the side of the Mendips facing Chew Valley Lake.
In one tiny space it contains almost every sort of English countryside that I
like)

The Grand Bazaar in Zanzib, sorry, Istanbul.

     6. WHERE'S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE PLACE TO BE?

At a party where I don't know anyone.

     7. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO BE MASSAGED?

Back.  But I prefer to be scratched, rather than massaged.

     8.  STRONG IN MIND OR STRONG BODY?

Whichever is least appropriate to the situation.

     9. WHAT TIME DO YOU WAKE IN THE MORNING?

6am.  I used to set my alarm clock for 6am, but I've got so used to it that I no
longer have to.  I wake then anyway.  I then pick up a book and read it - for
how long depends on whether it's a Saturday or not.

    10. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE KITCHEN APPLIANCE?

Dunno.  I'm not really into kitchen appliances.

    11.  WHAT MAKES YOU REALLY ANGRY?

Someone refusing to back down when their opinion has been shown to be untenable.
(Yes, I do it too.)

    12. IF YOU COULD PLAY ANY INSTRUMENT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Almost any instrument is fun.  Probably the Welsh "triple" harp.

    13. FAVOURITE COLOUR?

Probably dark olive green.  I have a soft spot for Lead Iodide Yellow, but I
wouldn't want to use it for anything (much).

    14. WHICH DO YOU PREFER, SPORTS CAR OR SUV?

SUV is Some sort of Utility Vehicle, isn't it?

About 6 or 7 years ago, I thought "Now I've got my truck, I don't need an estate
car any more" and traded in my estate car for a sports car.  BIG mistake.  That
estate car (1965 Ford Anglia) was the best car I ever owned.  The truck is
currently having its engine rebuilt, the sports car is waiting for me to finish
doing the same to its rear axle, and I'm driving around in another estate car,
my third since I sold the Anglia...

(But for commuting I'd love a Sinclair C5.  Or possibly one of those little
motorbike-engined rickshaws that you see all over Jakarta)

    15. DO YOU BELIEVE IN AFTER LIFE?

Yes.  The Christian doctrines about afterlife are confusing, but I still believe
in it.

    16. FAVOURITE CHILDREN'S BOOK(S)?

Power of Three.  The Crystal Gryphon (Andre Norton).  The Changeling Sea
(Patricia McKillip).  The Dragon Hoard and The Winter Players (Tanith Lee).
Hey, apart from the DWJ, every one of those titles is "The <noun> <noun>".
Weird.

    17. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SEASON?

Any time of year when it's sunny and not hot.

    18. WHAT'S YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE HOUSEHOLD CHORE?

Tidying up.  Cleaning the floor.

    19.   IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE SUPER POWER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Teleportation.  Think of the fuel one could save!

    20 DO YOU HAVE A TATTOO?

No thanks.

    21. CAN YOU JUGGLE?

Weekend before last, I mastered the "toss" and tried to progress to the
"exchange".  Failed miserably.

    22. THE ONE PERSON FROM YOUR PAST YOU WISH YOU COULD GO BACK & TALK TO?

My maternal grandfather, or possibly his brother Leo.  Both were very clever in
an inventorish way.  Uncle Leo worked with Barnes Wallis during WW II.

    23. WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE DAY?

No preferences.

    24. WHAT'S IN YOUR CAR TRUNK? BOOT!

Bother!  I cleared it out at the weekend.  It did contain 5 boxes of books that
I'm donating to a charity that sends children's books and clothes to poor
communities in South Africa.  At the moment it contains an empty cardboard box,
a crate of car accessories, and two carrier bags full of computer manuals that
were thrown out at work, but I wanted to keep at home.  Oh yes.  My bassoon and
a music stand are also in there.

    25. WHICH DO YOU PREFER, SUSHI OR HAMBURGER?

Hamburger.  If made properly, with real minced beef.

I don't like raw food.  Not even raw vegetables (although I do eat raw fruit!).
I don't think I could bring myself to eat any sort of raw flesh, even fish,
unless I was absolutely starving.

(But, all those who mentioned it, what the heck is vegetarian sushi?)

    26.  OF THE PEOPLE YOU E-MAILED THIS TO, WHO'S MOST  LIKELY TO RESPOND?
    27. WHO'S LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND?

Well, I'm only sending it to the list...

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc,  53 New Broad Street, London, EC2M 1SL
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432