OT: Books set in October/around Halloween?

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Fri Oct 11 13:04:02 EDT 2002

Doesn't one of Daniel Pinkwater's "Snarkout Boys" books happen around
Hallowe'en?

My favorite Hallowe'en poem is John Ciardi's:

Ruth says apples have learned to bob.
Bob says Pumpkins have a job.

Man Come down from the witching tree,
Says he wants someone, no not me.
Says he wants someone good and true... you!

Mother, mother, Ruth's gone flying!
Hush children, stop that crying.

Mother, Mother, she's up in the tree!
Climb up and tell me what you see.

Mother, she's higher than I can climb!
She'll be back by breakfast time,

Mother, what if she's gone for good?
She'll have to make do with witch's food.

Mother, what do witches eat?
Milk and potatoes and you, my sweet.

--------
Also do you know Violet Jacobs' poem "Halowe'en"(in Scots) about WWI.
Set to music by Jim Reid, I have the Jean Redpath rendition; very sad.

And of course Loreena KcKennit's "All Souls Night."

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps