where we're from

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Tue Oct 8 18:32:27 EDT 2002

At 9:37 PM -0700 10/5/02, Jenwa Hsung wrote:
>--- HSchinske at aol.com wrote:
>>  Seattle. Native Seattleite. Have also lived in
>>  Northfield, Minnesota (for
>>  college purposes) and Worcester, Massachusetts (back
>>  when I were a working
>>  librarian).
>
>The prevalence of a Minnesota/Massachusetts connection
>always surprises and amuses me.  I'm from the Twin
>Cities in Minnesota (the little St. Paul suburb of
>Shoreview), and currently live in Massachusetts
>(essentially Boston, specifically Somerville).  And
>iirc, Nat used to live in Massachusetts but now lives
>in Minnesota, though I may be confused about that.
>But in any case, it seems to happen more than I'd
>really expect.
>
>--jenwa.

Vermont actually, but I danced with a morris team in the Amherst
area, so I sort of lived in Massachusetts

People think Minnesota was founded by Scandinavians, but the serious
money came from Yankee country. Carleton College (Helen and I went
there) was founded by Congregationalists (less excitable Puritans,
basically), and was named after its first big benefactor, a
Massachusetts lamp manufacturer.

My Swedish great-grandmother worked in Somerville as a domestic for a
schoolmaster of old Yankee stock, and moved to Minnesota shortly
after becoming pregnant by the schoolmaster's son (the result being
my grandmother). I think that actually says a lot about the
relationship between Minneapolis and Massachusetts right there.

Nat