Book discussion

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Nov 26 16:23:32 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:55:22PM -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

> >We seem to have gone very quiet at the moment, and I recall a while ago we
> >were thinking of discussing Spellcoats. I haven't read it for a while, but
> >it's my favourite of the Dalemark books; I'd like to have some of your
> >insights. Or is there another book that people would prefer?
>
> No, let's do talk about it. I think we all agreed, but then no one started
> the discussion.
>
> texts (this is the source for The Lady of Shalott). Anyway, when she was
> describing the image she was looking for, Spellcoats sprang to mind for me.
> Granted, at the end of the book, Tanaqui is outdoors, but she is at the top
> of a cliff, and there is a sense that she is isolated at a height. I

The thing that I thought was really cool about Spellcoats was that the
weaving was writing, that it all meant something, while ordinary folks
would have just assumed it was meaningless.  Words have power.
I also liked the way that Tanaqui was so much better at weaving than the
magicians -- their woven words were crude and brief, while hers were a
whole story.  I also like the irony that when she wove the first coat,
she didn't know it was magic; I dunno, that somehow makes it more pure,
or something.  Her words were *truth* - while the words of the magicians
were manipulation.  Which again gets back to one of the themes about
magic in the Dalemark books, especially Cart and Cwidder: that magic
is bound in the truth of things.

Kathryn Andersen