Book discussion

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 26 14:55:22 EST 2002

>We seem to have gone very quiet at the moment, and I recall a while ago we
>were thinking of discussing Spellcoats. I haven't read it for a while, but
>it's my favourite of the Dalemark books; I'd like to have some of your
>insights. Or is there another book that people would prefer?

No, let's do talk about it. I think we all agreed, but then no one started
the discussion.

I have a comment. A while ago, a colleague of mine was talking about
looking for examples of medieval women who are shut up in towers and
weaving or embroidering. There are some examples in medieval Arthurian
texts (this is the source for The Lady of Shalott). Anyway, when she was
describing the image she was looking for, Spellcoats sprang to mind for me.
Granted, at the end of the book, Tanaqui is outdoors, but she is at the top
of a cliff, and there is a sense that she is isolated at a height. I
thought this might be something to think about as a way in to a discussion
about whether Spellcoats is in any way medieval/ist. Some people I know
have said they think it is pre-historic, but what does that mean,
specifically. I also, of course, am interested in whether people think
there are literary resonances in the book. I can't decide - I know DWJ is
informed enough to mean it when her books suggest medieval texts.

Robyn