Le Guin (Was: Re: recommendations wanted)

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Nov 16 17:24:30 EST 2002

>So how many Earthsea novels are there by now?
>Ania

Five, afaik.  The original trilogy; _A Wizard of Earthsea_, _The
Tombs of Atuan_, & _The Farthest Shore_; _Tehanu_, and now _The Other
Wind_.

It's odd, I think, about the age-aiming of the stories.  I found
_Tehanu_ only just bearable myself, and my copy is definitely not a
YA book, but adult.  Yet the review of TOW in The Guardian a few
weeks ago, mentioned Tehanu as if it were automatically a children's
book, just because of following a trilogy which was.  TOW is
different - certainly much easier to cope with than _Tehanu_, but yet
in some ways, still felt to me like an "adult book".   Older
characters is part of it, of course, but also something about the way
loss is such a large part of it.  "Necessary loss", to borrow a
phrase, which is very apt to the book.

Hallie.