recommendations wanted

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Thu Nov 14 21:30:25 EST 2002

Philip Belben:

+ Non-DWJ, I'm sure that Ursula Le Guin has written plenty of suitable stories.

The most likely would probably be _The Day before the Revolution_, featuring
the female Laia Asieo Odo (not her husband, who is also an Odo). She was
responsible for the concepts of Odonian anarchy which inform the society of
Annares in _The Dispossessed_. The Revolution is her partner's as well, but
she's definitely the one who is the Historical Figure, and seeing her after
he is lost and she is thinking about herself both in personal and historical
terms makes it a damn fine feminist story.

It's not all that fantastic, though, so if you're looking for High Fantasy
you need to look elsewhere. _The Dispossessed_ is definitely on the SF
rather than fantasy side of the blurry divide.

http://lavka.cityonline.ru/text/nebula/TheDay_.htm

has it, probably naughtily, since that isn't the author's own e-transcription.

+ There's one about king Argaven (who is from a world of hermaphrodites

Presumably "Winter's King" from _The Wind's Twelve Quarters_?

That deals primarily with Argaven XVII, though we do see at least one
other Argaven in the stuff about that planet.

There's "Coming of Age in Karhide: By Sov Thade Tage em Ereb, of Rer, in
Karhide, on Gethen". The world is Gethen/Winter, the "king" (and Le Guin has
spoken in her critical works about calling the rulers "kings") features in
the story Myr Belben mentions, and in the novel _The Left Hand of Darkness_
but "Coming of Age in Karhide" goes into more detail on what is means for
one's love/sex-life to "kemmer". The people of Winter aren't exactly
hermaphrodites, you see. Usually, they are genderless and acquire sex
periodically as *either* male or female (except for the Perverts, who have
*either* sex permanently, like the people of planet Earth).

"Coming of Age in Karhide" mentions "Winter's King"'s Argaven only in
passing, and doesn't have the politics of the other Gethenian stories.

Again, not fantastic (unless you think the gendering is intrinsically
beyond SF parameters).

+ Philip (who doesn't consider there's anything intrinsically feminist in
+ exploring gender issues, even from a woman's point of view...)

I agree, actually. Mind you, I do get a bit irritated on occasion by the
whole menstruation preoccupation in R. Pollack's stuff. Especially when
she witters on about ritual pomegranate juice for Moon rituals!

_The Adventures of Alyx_ by Joanna Russ might provide a good story from
the tales about Alyx. Very definitely in the feminist zone, and fantasy
to boot.

Tanaqui