recommendations wanted

Wed Nov 13 23:38:30 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:41:18 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>I have just found out I am teaching a high school catch up course next
>semester. One of the requirements is a selection of short stories of my
>choice. I would really like to include a *good*, feminist or at least by a
>woman, fantasy story. I am looking for suggestions. I have in mind that one
>about the women who forge swords and quench them in blood. Is it by Jane
>Yolen? But I am keen to consider suggestions.

The short story Yolen wrote on that subject is called "Evian Steel" and is
an Arthurian/Avalon story.  Because it deals more or less explicitly with
menstruation and becoming a woman, I consider it an ideal feminist story,
but you'll have to judge for yourself.  I have it in the Robin
McKinley-edited _Imaginary Lands_, which contains a number of other
excellent stories.  One of my favorites is P.C. Hodgell's _Stranger Blood_,
which introduced me to the Jame series.

I don't read a lot of short stories, and others have mentioned the Chicks in
Chainmail series already, so I don't have anything to add.  But my favorite
funny one is "Were-Wench" by Jan Stirling, in the first volume.  As long as
we're talking favorites, that is.

Melissa Proffitt