recommendations wanted

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Nov 13 23:09:58 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Denise DeGraf wrote:

> Robyn Starkey dreamed lazily into the stars:
> >I have just found out I am teaching a high school catch up course next

> I can't name any short titles offhand, but for short feminist fantasy, you
> should probably look into the "Swords & Sorceresses" (ed. Marion Zimmer
> Bradley) or the "Chicks N' Chainmail" (ed. Esther Friesner) anthologies for

Ooh, I'm quite fond of "Chicks 'N Chainmail." Since it's for high school
students, I particularly recommend...um..."Field Trip"? Something like
that. The one by Margaret Ball. (Hi, Margaret! :^) It teaches the value of
math as well as the difficulties of being a working single mom. But I
really liked the math part. (Yes, I had fun doing calculus.)

And for something very different, there's "Kissing the Witch" by Emma
Donoghue--it's a series of fairy-tale retellings, with such interesting
twists as Cinderella going off with her fairy godmother instead of
sticking with Prince Boring.