how you shelve your books

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Mon Nov 11 09:25:23 EST 2002

Once upon a time I had all my nonfiction shelved by author, in the
study, with a nice cross-referenced database for author, title,
 subject(s) and miscellaneous notes. Then I went out on our maid's
weekly day and she saw her chance to give the study a good turnout. When
I got back, the books were clean, dusted, and shelved by size and color.
(This woman has a LOT more energy than I am; if she hadn't been born
poor and Hispanic in Texas, she'd probably be CEO of a major corporation
by now.)

I contemplated reorganizing around 1500 heavy hardcover books to their
old configuration, sighed, and forgot about the database.

And threatened her with death if she ever touched my fiction, which
lives on the hall shelves, also sorted by author.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com