Jane Langton

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat Nov 9 15:18:21 EST 2002

I enjoyed these when they first came out, but I fairly quickly became anoyed
with her lack of focus on just what story she wanted to tell. It took her an
inordinant amount of time for her to "settle". But, then, I was already
college age and probably a good deal more aware of time and period than the
target audience. Eventually they got a bit too preachy for me. Although part
of the charm of the whole series was that these were didactic novels for
children, and made no bones about it.

Has anyone got any idea *why* she wrote the first book as a period piece and
then abruptly yanked the whole series into modern day?