Jane Langton (books by) and an idea

Fri Nov 8 18:09:26 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:42:35 -0000, Ania wrote:

>I was idly browsing Amazon last night and I noted that The Swing in the
>Summerhouse has been reprinted and that there are 2 more sequels to that and
>the Diamond in the Window. Amanda/Gemini, who introduced me to them, to DWJ
>and to this list, was overjoyed - I'd emailed her immediately
>Are any of you familiar with the series? If not, make amends immediately. If
>you need convincing, read Amanda's review of The Diamond..., which is online
>on www.amazon.co.uk

_The Diamond in the Window_ is one of my very favorite books.  Langton
stopped writing children's books for a long time (switched to adult
mysteries or something) and recently came back to juveniles to continue the
series.  I haven't been able to read the rest of the books, but I can vouch
for the first one at least.

>My idea, which I just had, is this: You know that you can make an online
>'wish list' with Amazon? Well, how about we all make one (I already have, as
>a way of keeping track of my 'wants'), and then amazon gives an option to
>email the list (or rather, presumably, a link thereto) to friends. If we
>were to email these to this list, we could all get to know each other better
>(this sounds sleazy; it's not meant to be) from seeing the things we want
>but not yet have. Is this feasible? Is it allowed? Could a moderator
>comment? What do you lot think?

I would love to do this.  I keep track of books I want as well (rather than
actual wishes for gifts) and it's fun to see what other people are looking
for.  Sometimes it gives me ideas for books to read myself.  Though I have
to say, the one downside to this list is hearing about all the wonderful
books I would like to read that are not published in the US.  I hate
poverty.

Melissa Proffitt